Saturday, November 2, 2013

Birthdays

November brings Scorpio time and clusters of birthdays unlike any other season. (Why do I know so many Scorpios??) It's a brisk time, fall here for sure, time turned back an hour and very early sunsets. For me the month is happy and somewhat melancholy, since mine is one of the Scorpio birthdays. If you weren't watching time passing, you're thrown a clear reminder. My great nephew Jeremy was born a few days from mine on the calendar, just as I was turning 60. So I will always know how old he is--me less 60. That's a substantial gap, but he's smart and good and if I'm glad of that marker with anyone, I'm glad it's he. My niece Elissa's birthday is also a few days from mine. She isn't 60 years younger--thank goodness--but younger enough that I remain (by her choice) "Uncle" Stanley. It's a loving title, makes one think there should be an Uncle's Day. It's great that birthdays come--and go--hut do they have to come so fast? In a week I'll mark off another year. I remember when I was in college that friends and I used to have a symbolic calendar burning party at the end of each month. We actually celebrated time going by? Were we nuts?

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online